|Release:||October 20, 2006 - Xbox 360 (US)
October 22, 2006 - Xbox 360 (EU)
|Delisting:||February 17, 2010
(Available For: 3y 3m)
|Available On:||Downloadable (See Below)|
On February 17th, 2010 Larry “Major Nelson” Hryb announced on Twitter that nine Midway Games had been removed from Xbox Live “due to publisher evolving rights and permissions”. The nine games include:
- Cyberball 2072
- Robotron: 2084
- Root Beer Tapper
- Smash TV
- Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
These “evolving rights” related to Midway’s bankruptcy and financial woes as the company shut down operations through 2010. After filing for bankruptcy in February of 2009, Midway received a bid of more than $33 million from Warner Bros. for the majority of the company’s assets. With the sale completed by July 10th the remaining studios were either closed or sold off (namely to SouthPeak Games and to THQ who would themselves file for bankruptcy in 2012).
While all nine Xbox 360 games were delisted on the same day, six Midway titles on PlayStation 3 lingered a while longer as they were published by Sony Online Entertainment. The games were put on sale one final time through the last week of June 2010 and were likely delisted shortly thereafter. The six games include:
- Championship Sprint
- Gauntlet II
- Mortal Kombat II
- Rampage World Tour
Warner Bros. Consolidation
While these original releases are currently delisted almost all of them are available in new digital bundles or on physical discs. Midway Arcade Origins contains 30 titles and was released to retail by Warner Bros. on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. It is currently available to download on Xbox 360 as well.
Warner Bros. has also re-released Mortal Kombat II and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in the Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Paperboy is available in the downloadable version of Midway Arcade Treasures Extended Play, published digitally in 2010 for the PlayStation Portable. This leaves only Rampage: World Tour that cannot currently be downloaded.
Before all of this Midway released dozens of arcade compilations on numerous platforms as far back as the Sega Genesis and Game Boy Color.
About the Game
“Enter the world of ULTIMATE Mortal Kombat 3 and discover 22 playable characters, classic fatalities, brutalities, friendships and babalities with tons of environments, and multiplayer Kombat Mode as you fight to defeat Shao Kahn!“
- Players can choose from 22 fighters with different abilities. You also have secret methods to allow playing additional fighters.
- Classic Fatalities, Brutalities, Friendships and Babalities! Finish Him!
- 2 on 2 kombat mode
- Tons of environments to fight in including: Scorpion’s Lair, Jade’s Desert, Kahn’s Kave, River Kombat, Noob’s Dorfen and more.
- Each character, has their own good or evil motives and a common goal. THE DESTRUCTION OF SHAO KAHN!
- A variety of multiplayer modes including the new Challenger Versus Mode which allows you and 3 other friends to battle it out in a “winner-stays-on” style tournament.
- Detailed Leaderboards: Captures the player’s win and losses both for all time and for the current week.
- Challenger Versus Mode: A new multiplayer mode which allows up to 4 players to play in a “winner-stays-on” style tournament. Statistics are recorded to allow for maximum bragging rights!
- 12 achievements: The UMK3 achievements offer rewards for both the novice and expert players.