|Digital Release:||Digital release dates and platforms
|Delisting:||Exact or Approximate date of delisting|
|Available On:||Anywhere it may still be available|
|Links:||Live and archived links with relevant information|
This is a placeholder entry to be expanded at a later date.
R-Type Tactics II: Operation Bitter Chocolate was delisted by August 11th, 2011 in Japan on PlayStation Portable. Continue reading for more details.
Irem’s Delisting History – 2011
Through Spring 2011, several factors resulted in Irem canceling two of its major upcoming releases and backing away from the console video game industry. The company changed its focus to the pachinko and slot machine business where it got its start and as a result began delisting most of its digital console titles.
On July 22nd, 2011, import gaming site Andriasang posted a notice that Irem would be delisting many of their digital PlayStation releases on August 11th. This included demos, videos, themes and the following titles:
- R-Type Command (R-Type Tactics [EU, JP]) (PSP)
- Puzzle Guzzle (Mousukesu based on Carton-kun [JP], Mawaskes [EU]) (PSP)
- Steambolt Chronicles: Battle Tournament (Poncotsu Roman Daikatsugeki Bumpy Trot: Vehicle Battle Tournament [JP]) (PSP)
- Hammerin’ Hero (Ikuze! Gen-San: Yuuyake Daiku Monogatari [JP], GenSan [EU]) (PSP)
- R-Type Tactics II Operation Bitter Chocolate [JP] (PSP)
- Sengoku Efuda Yuugi: Hototogisu Ran [JP] (PSP)
- Sengoku Efuda Yuugi: Hototogisu Tairan [JP] (PSP)
- Narisokonai Eiyuutan: Taiyou to Tsuki no Monogatari [JP] (PSP)
- R-Types (PSN)
- R-Type Delta (PSN)
- Gussun Paradise (YoYo’s Puzzle Park [EU]) (PSN)
- Irem Arcade Classics [JP] (PSN)
The Andriasang announcement also confirmed that several of Irem’s “spaces” for PlayStation Home would be shut down on September 1st, 2011. By September 30th, both the TurboGrafx-16 and Sega Master System versions of R-Type were delisted from the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console in North America; in Japan they were delisted by October 18th. The Japan-exclusive Spelunker Black on PlayStation 3 was delisted by December 20th, 2011.
Irem’s Delisting History – 2012
According to Irem’s website, the following titles were delisted in Japan by March 30th, 2012:
- R-Type II (Wii Virtual Console)
- R-Type III: The Third Lightning (Wii Virtual Console)
- Super R-Type (Wii Virtual Console)
- Image Fight (Wii Virtual Console [JP])
- Image Fight II (Wii Virtual Console [JP])
- Legend of Hero Tonma (Wii Virtual Console)
- Spelunker (3DS, Wii & Wii U Virtual Console)
- Vigilante (Wii Virtual Console)
- Ninja Spirit (Saigo no Nindou: Ninja Spirit [JP]) (Wii Virtual Console)
No later than August 7th, 2012 the Western releases of all the titles above were delisted in their respective territories except where noted below.
As of May 2017, only two R-Type titles remain available digitally worldwide. R-Type Dimensions from Tozai Games is available on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 while the TurboGrafx-16 version of the original R-Type is available on Wii U and 3DS Virtual Consoles from Konami. Tozai has also re-released the original versions of Spelunker and continues developing new titles in the series.
R-Type Tactics (Command) is available to purchase but only on the PlayStation Store in select European countries (EU, DE, FR) where it is published by Rising Star Games. Europe is also the only territory where Mawaskes (Puzzle Guzzle) and GenSan (Hammerin’ Hero) are available digitally. Both titles are now published in the territory by DHM Interactive, though the company seems largely inactive in 2017.
Irem themselves released several delisted titles from the Wii Virtual Console on the Wii U eShop in Japan in 2015. Image Fight, Image Fight II, Legend of Hero Tonma, Vigilante, and Ninja Spirit are all currently available. Several of their digital PachiPara titles are also still available on PlayStation Network for PlayStation 3 and PSP in Japan.
Nearly all delisted titles are available on physical media.