|Release:||August 30, 2011 - Steam (US)
February 20, 2013 - Xbox 360 (EU/US)
|Delisting (approx.):||October 1, 2015 - Xbox 360
(Available For: 2y 7m)
|Developer:||Mommy's Best Games|
Mastertronic Group (Digital, EU/AU Retail)
Maximum Games (US Retail)
|Available On:||Steam, Retail (see below)|
|Links:||Home Page, Xbox.com Page|
Serious Sam Double D XXL was delisted from Xbox Live Arcade by October of 2015. It was included in the The Serious Sam Collection which is also delisted in digital form. The game was delisted as Mastertronic Group went into Administration in November of 2015. A PlayStation 3 version of the game was in development but was never released. Continue reading for the whole story.
The ‘Serious Sam’ Series Delisting Mega Story
On June 25th, 2009 Majesco Entertainment announced that they would be publishing Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter for Xbox 360 “in partnership” with a fledgling Devolver Digital. The original announcement called for a “late summer 2009” release but the game was pushed back to January 13th, 2010 for both the US and Europe. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter was released on September 22nd, 2010 again by Majesco and Devolver Digital. By early 2011 Majesco was no longer involved in publishing Serious Sam titles.
Devolver Digital moved on to work with Mastertronic Group to bring Serious Sam HD: The First & Second Encounters to both digital (US, EU) and retail (AU, EU) release in late March of 2011. Devolver and Mastertronic continued working together to release digital versions of Serious Sam 3: BFE and Serious Sam Double D XXL on Xbox Live Arcade and PC in 2013.
Later that year the two publishers released The Serious Sam Collection featuring The First and Second Encounters, Serious Sam 3: BFE and Serious Sam Double D XXL. The collection was again released digitally and at retail in Europe and Australia by Mastertronic Group. The physical edition was released in the US by Maximum Games. All editions were released in late July of 2013.
The titles in The Serious Sam Collection remained available as individual downloads until Mastertronic Group went into Administration in November of 2015. According to captures by archive.org the titles were approximately delisted by the following dates:
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter – by January 17th, 2015
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter – between September and October 2015
- Serious Sam 3: BFE – sometime after October 2015
- Serious Sam Double D XXL – by October 2015
As of April 2016 all titles remain available on PC via Steam with Serious Sam 3: BFE also available to download on PlayStation 3. Trial versions of Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter remain available on Xbox Live Arcade.
About the Game
“Serious Note: Serious Sam Double D XXL is a NEW and ORIGINAL Serious Sam title! Yippee!!
It is officially sanctioned by the original developer Croteam, and is a part of their Serious Sam Indie Series.“
- One gun sometimes not enough? Two still too wimpy? Try firing all your guns at once with the GUN STACKER system!
- Two-Player Local Cooperative Play – Huff will be the second playable character! He’s that crazy guy from the Gunstacker video! 21 Campaign levels with 3 Sam-insane vehicle levels!
- Gunstacker Upgrades – Shotguns that fire a horde of bees, Prism Lasers, the return of Serious Sam’s trademark Cannon and much more! Over 30 new guns to fire!
- New Enemies in glorious 2D! Fight fire-belching TORCHER KITTIES, exploding-banana shooting CHIMPUTEES, evil pancakes known as VUVUZELATORS!
- Corpse-Piling Technology! Sometimes the best way out is up–on dead monster CORPSES!
- Jump Pad technology: Anywhere, ANYTIME throw a jump-pad and get a leg up!
- SECRETS and ACHIEVEMENTS galore, find new max health upgrades, ammo, armor, extra weapons and even comedy secrets!
- Unlock 12 CHALLENGE ROOMS such as 4 chainsaw fights, and post your scores on the official LEADERBOARDS!
- Unlock 6 HEAD-TO-HEAD Arenas and teach your friend who’s boss with a laser rifle stack!