|Release:||November 22, 2011 - Steam (US)
October 17, 2012 - Xbox 360 (AU/EU/US)
May 14, 2014 - PlayStation 3 (AU/EU/US)
|Delisting (approx.):||October 1, 2015 - Xbox 360
(Available For: 2y 11m)
Mastertronic Group (Digital, EU/AU Retail)
Maximum Games (US Retail)
|Available On:||Steam, PlayStation 3, Retail (see below)|
|Links:||Home Page, Xbox.com Page|
Serious Sam 3: BFE was delisted from Xbox Live Arcade some time after October of 2015. It was included in the The Serious Sam Collection which is also delisted in digital form. The game was delisted as Mastertronic Group went into Administration in November of 2015. Continue reading for the whole story.
The ‘Serious Sam’ Series Delisting Mega Story
On June 25th, 2009 Majesco Entertainment announced that they would be publishing Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter for Xbox 360 “in partnership” with a fledgling Devolver Digital. The original announcement called for a “late summer 2009” release but the game was pushed back to January 13th, 2010 for both the US and Europe. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter was released on September 22nd, 2010 again by Majesco and Devolver Digital. By early 2011 Majesco was no longer involved in publishing Serious Sam titles.
Devolver Digital moved on to work with Mastertronic Group to bring Serious Sam HD: The First & Second Encounters to both digital (US, EU) and retail (AU, EU) release in late March of 2011. Devolver and Mastertronic continued working together to release digital versions of Serious Sam 3: BFE and Serious Sam Double D XXL on Xbox Live Arcade and PC in 2013.
Later that year the two publishers released The Serious Sam Collection featuring The First and Second Encounters, Serious Sam 3: BFE and Serious Sam Double D XXL. The collection was again released digitally and at retail in Europe and Australia by Mastertronic Group. The physical edition was released in the US by Maximum Games. All editions were released in late July of 2013.
The titles in The Serious Sam Collection remained available as individual downloads until Mastertronic Group went into Administration in November of 2015. According to captures by archive.org the titles were approximately delisted by the following dates:
- Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter – by January 17th, 2015
- Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter – between September and October 2015
- Serious Sam 3: BFE – sometime after October 2015
- Serious Sam Double D XXL – by October 2015
As of April 2016 all titles remain available on PC via Steam with Serious Sam 3: BFE also available to download on PlayStation 3. Trial versions of Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter and Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter remain available on Xbox Live Arcade.
About the Game
“Serious Sam 3: BFE is a first-person action shooter, a glorious throwback to the golden age of first-person shooters where men were men, cover was for amateurs and pulling the trigger made things go boom. Serving as a prequel to the original indie and Game of the Year sensation, Serious Sam: The First Encounter, Serious Sam 3 takes place during the Earth’s final struggle against Mental’s invading legions of beasts and mercenaries.“
- Frantic Arcade-Style Action – Hold down the trigger and lay waste to a never-ending onslaught of attackers or face being overrun by Mental’s savage beasts. No cover systems, no camping – it’s just you against them. All of them!
- Fearsome Enemy Creatures – A new battalion of unforgettable minions including the rumbling Scrapjack and towering Khnum join the legendary Headless Kamikaze, Gnaar and Sirian Werebull to create the fiercest opposition you’ve ever had the pleasure of mowing down!
- Spectacular Environments – Battle across the expansive battlefields of near-future Egypt bursting at the seams with total chaos. The shattered cities of tomorrow lined with the crumbling temples of an ancient world become your destructible playground!
- Destructive Arsenal – Unleash Serious Sam’s arsenal of weapons including a scoped assault rifle, the double-barreled shotgun, the explosive automatic shotgun, the punishing minigun, and the almighty barrage of flaming cannonballs! Carry all of Sam’s weapons at once and switch between each gun on the fly for maximum firepower!
- Brutal Melee Attacks – When the going get’s tough, the tough take matters into their own hands! Rip out the eye of a closing Gnaar, twist off the face of the hideous Scrapjack or snap the neck of an Arachnoid Hatchling for an instant kill!