|Digital Release||PlayStation 4
January 05, 2016 (AU, EU, NA)
February 03, 2016 (JP)
|Delisting||August 2021 - Removed from Store
December 08, 2021 - Server Shutdown
|Links||PlayStation.com page [Archive]|
An in-game announcement was sent to players of Hardware: Rivals in late August of 2021 informing them that the game would be shut down on December 8th. The game was removed from the PlayStation Store no later than August 26th, 2021 allowing only existing owners to continue playing. The brief announcement follows:
It is our duty to announce that Hardware: Rivals is going to be decommissioned in the near future. After five action packed years of rail-gunning, bombing and sending missiles into our friends and rivals, Hardware: Rivals will be retired from service. The last day of play will be December 8th 2021.
We hope you enjoy these last few months in the combat arena and we thank you for all your support over the years.Sincerely, The Hardware: Rivals team
Although unconfirmed, the game was likely shut down due to a low number of active players after years in operation. Posts on the game’s PSNProfiles forum reported continued server maintenance issues in 2020 suggesting that work may have been taking place to prep for this shutdown, or that active support was no longer being provided to the game.
About the Game
Rival vs Rival
It’s tracks vs tires, armored tanks vs Fast Attack Vehicles (FAVs), in an all-terrain battle-fest of online multiplayer vehicular action. Plow through a range of unique combat arenas, claiming bounties, completing Challenges and wreaking terrible vengeance upon old adversaries. With multiple battle modes, regular community events and a range of perks to unlock as you progress, there’ll always be a chance to settle the score.
Take the destruction on tour to four arena locations designed and built for maximum mayhem and all-out tactical action.
- Blister Lake is a vast, sprawling haven for long range weapons and guided missiles – you’ll find cover if you stick to the edges, but players brave enough to venture inwards will bag the best weapons and most kills.
- The Lost Temple is easy to navigate but tough to dominate; the best weapons are tricky to reach – and the Temple is a great hit-and-run hunting ground.
- Jackson’s Pit is all about tight turns, providing plenty of cover and opportunities for close-quarters combat – rockets and bombs are your friend when you’re in the pit.
- Outpost 92 spreads the battle across a handful of battle areas, each offering plenty of cover around an immense deep core drill – but beware what has been uncovered in the icy depths…
Pick a vehicle to suit your style: Tanks are heavily armoured war machines that pack a hefty punch, while F.A.Vs are quick and nimble with a turret-mounted machine gun.
Hardware: Rivals pits you against other rolling machines of destruction in a series of arena battles, each with their own rules and tactics.
- Attrition is a free-for-all deathmatch where only one winner will top the scoreboard.
- Team Deathmatch splits the road warriors onto two sides for a battle decided on team tactics.
- Team Domination requires teamwork and organisation to secure and hold each of the three zones dotted around the arena.
- Team Elimination throws you into last-man-standing rounds – the first team to win three rounds takes the glory.
Thanks to Wakayama_PT for submitting this game to the site