December 18, 2017
|Delisting:||June 14, 2019|
Retail (various versions):
Disney’s The Lion King was delisted from Steam on June 14th, 2019 when its price was set to $0.00. It was released and delisted on the same day as Disney’s Aladdin, a similar console-to-Steam port of the 90’s console original. The reason for the delisting is uncertain but could be related to a number of things:
- Expired licensing or partnership between Disney and Virgin Interactive for these digital releases
- Fear of confusion among consumers as each game is tied to a 2019 theatrical remake
- Plans to release similarly titled, tie-in games to the 2019 theatrical remakes
- Potential plans for a Disney Afternoon Collection-style compilation of games based on feature films
As of this writing, all other titles published by Disney remain available on Steam suggesting these two titles have some kind of connection, be it simply the same release date. Both titles also remain available on GOG.com with no advanced notice of their removal posted as of late June 2019.
About the Game
“Disney The Lion King brings to life the majesty and mystery of Africa through the tale of Simba, a lion cub faced with the challenging transition to maturity. Now, you too can be part of the adventure!
Driven into the wilderness by his evil uncle Scar, Simba finds salvation and Hakuna Matata with Pumbaa the warthog and Timon the meerkat.
Tackle heinous hyenas in the elephant’s graveyard, avoid the trampling hooves of stampeding wildebeest as you battle through 10 levels to ensure Simba claims his rightful place as The Lion King.“
- Join Simba through 10 levels on his journey from cub to king
- Enjoy adaptations and orchestrations from the award-winning soundtrack, including “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” and “Hakuna Matata”
- Jump, climb and fight your way through this adventure, collecting bugs along the way
Select Video Coverage
Thanks to Esca2001 for submitting this game to the site