|Digital Release:||Xbox 360
April 21, 2010 (EU, JP, US)
April 21, 2010 (JP)
April 22, 2010 (EU, US)
|Delisting:||December 16, 2014|
|Available On:||None (original versions)
Android version relisted in April 2019
PlayStation Store page
Xbox.com page [Archive]
After Burner Climax was delisted from Xbox 360 on December 16th, 2014. It was likely delisted from PlayStation 3 on or near this date. On December 10th, sites began reporting on a tweet from AM2 Producer, Noriyuki Shimoda, who mentioned that the game would be delisted on December 24th.
Just a few days later, Achievement hunting sites XBLA Fans and TrueAchievements (among others) began reporting that the game had been delisted ahead of schedule on December 16th. Like many of Sega’s arcade ports of the era, the delisting is assumed to be tied to licensing, this time of the in-game aircraft including the titular F-14D Super Tomcat from Grumman Aerospace Corp.
About the Game
“Take to the skies and experience blazing speeds in the world’s fastest fighter jets! The classic arcade game After Burner has now returned for a new generation of gamers. After Burner Climax is fast and frantic action, putting you in the cockpit of the world’s fastest fighter plane. Dodge planes, rockets and bullets while trying to target multiple on-screen enemy aircraft. Built for all skill levels, everyone will be able to take to the air and blaze through a branching storyline and over 20 stages.“
- Choose your Aircraft – Select your aircraft from the F-14D Super Tomcat by Northrop Grumman to the F-15E Strike Eagle and F/A-18E Super Hornet by Boeing. Personalize your plane with a selection of 4 different paint jobs including: standard paint, camouflage, special paint and Low Visibility.
- Over 20 Stages – Play through each stage at blazing speed with your personalized fighter aircraft.
- Branching Storyline – Keep your head under pressure with limited time to make adrenaline-fuelled decisions, and experience different paths through the game based on personal choice and the success or failure of special missions.
- 4 Game Modes – Build up your skill in Training Mode and then take flight in Arcade mode. Play through Score Attack to see how you rank on the Online Leaderboards.
- EX OPTION Mode – Enjoy the exhilarating flight in overwhelmingly superior condition and take down multiple enemies at a time.
- Climax Mode – When your Climax Gauge is full, time will slow down and your lock-on cursor will expand. This is your chance to lock on to enemies en masse and take them all down at once!
- Weapons – Blast away close range enemies with the gun with access to unlimited ammo. Shoot missiles that lock on to enemy aircraft.