|Digital Release||Nintendo Wii U
September 10, 2015 (JP)
September 11, 2015 (AU, EU, NA)
|Delisting||Removed from Sale
January 12, 2021 (NA)
January 13, 2021 (AU, EU, JP)
Online Features Retired
March 31, 2021 (AU, EU, JP, NA)
Nintendo Wii U
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo Wii U was delisted in North America on January 12th, 2021 and in Australia, Europe and Japan on January 13th. Nintendo announced the delisting on November 25th, 2020 and also confirmed that the ability to upload new courses would be retired on March 31st, 2021. The discontinuation of service extended to the Super Mario Maker Bookmark site which loses all functionality on March 31st including the ability to update rankings and view bookmarked courses. For the foreseeable future the ability to browse and download previously uploaded courses remains unchanged. Nintendo America’s full announcement follows:
As of March 31, 2021, it will no longer be possible to upload courses in the Super Mario Maker game for the Wii U system. On the same day, the Super Mario Maker Bookmark website will also close. As a result, Super Mario Maker for the Wii U system will be removed from Nintendo eShop on January 12, 2021. Please note that depending on the circumstances, these services may be discontinued earlier than the above-mentioned date.
Services that will end:
– The ability to upload courses in the Wii U version of Super Mario Maker
– The Super Mario Maker Bookmark website
Due to this, the following features within the software’s Course World will also become unavailable:
– Updating the ranking of liked courses
– Looking up your bookmarked courses
An error message will be displayed when trying to access these discontinued services after their end date. It will still be possible to play courses that were uploaded before the course upload feature was discontinued, and to redownload the game after its removal from Nintendo eShop. There will be no impact on the Super Mario Maker 2 game for the Nintendo Switch system. We would like to thank all players for supporting Super Mario Maker on Wii U over the past five years.
Nintendo pointed out elsewhere that Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS would not be delisted as it does not support the uploading of courses.
About the Game
The Mario experience of your dreams has arrived and is bursting with creativity… including yours! Play a near-limitless number of intensely creative Super Mario levels from players around the world. It’s easy enough to create your own levels with the Wii U GamePad controller that it may feel like you’re simply sketching out your ideas on paper, but you can now bring enemies and objects into a playable course in ways you could only dream of before. What was impossible in traditional Mario games is now impossibly fun, so let your imagination run wild!
- Play a near-limitless number of Mario levels created by Nintendo and players around the world.
- Create your own Mario levels by using the Wii U GamePad controller touch screen to add enemies, blocks, pipes and more.
- Break the conventions of traditional Super Mario gameplay by blending enemies, traps and items into unexpected twists, like Piranha Plant-shooting cannons, power-up-tossing Lakitus, or even Hammer Bros. riding on Bowser while bouncing on trampolines.
- Touch control, instant editing and a robust online ranking and search system makes creating, playing and sharing a seamless process.
- Switch between four distinct themes, each with different art styles and features: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World, and New Super Mario Bros. U.
- Transform into different characters at random with the new Mystery Mushroom item. Expand the roster of possible characters by completing 100 Mario Challenge mode or tapping compatible amiibo.
- Tap a 30th Anniversary Mario amiibo figure to the Wii U GamePad controller to add a Big Mushroom power-up to your course!
Select Video Coverage
Thanks to everyone who submitted this game to the site