July 09, 2003 (US)
November 07, 2003 (EU)
|Delisting:||December 15, 2011|
|Developer:||Sony Online Entertainment|
|Available On:||None (See Below)|
|Links:||Star Wars Galaxies homepage [Archive]
Star Wars Galaxies Memory Book [Archive]
In June of 2011 Sony Online Entertainment and LucasArts announced that Star Wars Galaxies and Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game would be shut down on December 15th, 2011. The initial announcement follows:
We write to you today to inform you that on December 15, 2011, Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) and LucasArts will end all services (MMO and Trading Card Game) for Star Wars Galaxies (SWG). The shutdown of SWG is a very difficult decision, but SOE and LucasArts have mutually agreed that the end of 2011 is the appropriate time to end the game.
We are extremely grateful to all of the SWG fans. We have had the rare opportunity to host one of the most dedicated and passionate online gaming communities and we truly appreciate the support we’ve received from each and every one of you over the course of the past eight years.
In recognition of your incredible loyalty, we are extending special Fan Appreciation offers to the current SWG community. We also plan to go out with a bang with a galaxy-ending in-game event in December and hope to see you all there. The details relating to these offers and events as well as the timeline and specifics regarding the discontinuation of the service, are provided below.
Again, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to our player community for making SWG one of the best online communities in gaming history.
Sony Online Entertainment & LucasArts
In late December of 2011, Technical Director and Producer of Star Wars Galaxies, Tony Tyson, made a final post to the game’s homepage. His farewell message was accompanied by a gift to the community, a 252-page PDF recounting the game’s development and content from initial announcement in 2000 to the final days in 2011. The page has since been removed but we have uploaded a copy of the ‘Star Wars Galaxies Memory Book’ to Archive.org.
Since being shut down, several teams of fans have sought to recreate or otherwise bring the game back online with private servers. You can read more about some of these endeavors on the game’s Wikipedia page.
About the Game
“Be the hero of your own Star Wars™ adventures in a galaxy far, far away. Star Wars Galaxies: The Complete Online Adventures is the most complete Star Wars Galaxies experience ever, and now includes An Empire Divided™, Jump to Lightspeed™, Rage of the Wookiees™, and Trials of Obi-Wan™, plus the all new Star Wars Galaxies™ Trading Card Game: Champions of the Force!“
- IN STAR WARS GALAXIES:Experience the complete Star Wars Galaxies game: “An Empire Divided™,” the expansions “Jump to Lightspeed™,” “Rage of the Wookiees™,” and “Trials of Obi-Wan™”.
- Embark on adventures inspired by the classic trilogy, the prequel movies including Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith™ and the new horror novel, Death Troopers.
- Undertake hundreds of Star Wars missions to places like Jabba’s Palace, the Ewok Village, the Mos Eisley Cantina, the royal city of Theed and Hoth!
- Work for, or against, classic characters like Darth Vader, Jabba the Hutt, Han Solo and Princess Leia.
- Race speeder bikes, swoop bikes, landspeeders and podracers, or mount creatures like banthas and dewbacks.
- Master the wild with exclusive new abilities that let you create and customize your own beastly companion.
- Plus, join your friends in all new heroic encounters battling such enemies as IG88, the Tusken King, Exar Kun, and Axkva Min and the Death Troopers invasion.
IN THE STAR WARS GALAXIES TRADING CARD GAME:
The Galactic Civil War continues on a whole new playing field with the introduction of the Star Wars Galaxies™ Trading Card Game and its first release, Champions of the Force, the first ever online Star Wars trading card game.
- Choose your allegiance from one of four factions, Rebel, Imperial, Jedi or Sith, and build your own Light or Dark side digital card decks
- Collect more than 250 beautifully detailed original Star Wars-themed digital cards
- Challenge your skills online in solo play, or join with friends in epic one-on-one matches, cooperative Heroic Encounters and even official tournaments
- Discover more than 20 digital loot cards in the first release that are redeemable for fantastic digital items within the Star Wars Galaxies massively multiplayer online game for players with a Star Wars Galaxies account in good standing*
- Plus, all Star Wars Galaxies subscribers with current, valid, paid accounts in good standing are eligible to automatically receive five digital trading card Booster Packs each month included with their paid Star Wars Galaxies subscription at no additional cost
Select Video Coverage
Thanks to Zup for submitting this game to the site