November 03, 2015
November 03, 2015 (AU, EU, NA)
February 17, 2017 (AS)
Nintendo Wii U
August 18, 2016 (AU, EU, NA)
|Delisting||Sept 2020 - Jan 2021 - PlayStation 4, Nintendo Wii U|
|Publisher||Rising Star Games|
PONCHO was delisted on PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Wii U between September of 2020 and January of 2021. The game was confirmed to be available through the end of August 2020 when it was featured in a PlayStation Store sale in North America and Europe. Archive.org captures show the game was last available on Nintendo Wii U in February of 2019 but it seems likely that it would have been delisted in 2020 alongside the PlayStation 4 versions.
Delve Interactive had expressed disdain with publisher Rising Star Games in 2017 and this could be related to the delisting. However, it seems more likely that the publishing arrangements simply ended for the console releases of PONCHO and neither party sought to renew them. The Steam version of PONCHO is also published by Rising Star Games but remains available as of February 2021.
About the Game
A PlayStation Vita port of the game was in the works but Delve’s Dan Hayes confirmed in a Gamasutra postmortem that development had been scrapped on this version of PONCHO.
“A robot, a poncho and a journey of discovery! Make your way through this wonderful world of pixelated parallax platforming to solve the ultimate puzzle: who is Poncho?
The world is ruined; humanity has disappeared and all that remains are robots, trying to find a new purpose in existence. But for Poncho, the adventure is just beginning! Explore an open world full of colourful characters, leaping between parallax layers to overcome obstacles and solve puzzles. Can you make it to the Red Tower, meet your Maker and ultimately save humanity?“
- A 2D world with 3D thinking! Use brains as well as platforming skill, moving back and forth through Poncho’s world as well as left and right to progress.
- Discover new challenges around every corner: platforms that move when you do, areas that switch from 3D to 2D and back again, shifting walls, seemingly impossible ascents and much more!
- A philosophical and intriguing storyline filled with mystery and a dark twist…
- An open world adventure, with a multitude of solutions to every area, hidden secrets and multiple endings!
- Randomly generated NPC characters and critters that react to Poncho’s presence make the world feel alive!
- Seek out and find new abilities to unlock even more secrets hidden in the world!
- Gorgeous pixel graphics mix with clever gameplay and a beautiful soundtrack to create a retro-style experience that’s truly unique!
Select Video Coverage
Thanks to an anonymous reader for submitting this game to the site