September 25, 2020 - GOG.com
|Delisting||November 15, 2021|
|Links||GOG.com page [Archive]|
Konami announced on November 7th, 2021 that all current digital versions of Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3, along with any bundles that include them, would begin to be removed from marketplaces starting on November 8th. The actual timing of their delistings varied by platform and storefront:
- GOG.com announced on November 12th that Metal Gear Solid 2 Substance would be removed from their platform on November 15th
- The individual versions of the games on PlayStation 3 and Vita were delisted between November 11th and 18th. A bundle that included both titles was still available until closer to November 20th
- The Xbox 360’s “HD Edition” that included both games was delisted on November 18th
- The streaming PS Now version of the Metal Gear Solid HD Collection was reportedly removed from the service before the end of November
- Metal Gear Solid 3 on Nintendo 3DS was not removed until December 1st
- It is uncertain exactly when the Shield TV versions (MGS2, MGS3) were delisted but it likely occurred in this same late-November time frame
Konami explained at the time that licenses around “select historical archive footage” had expired and the games were being temporarily delisted while the company worked to renew them. Both games’ end credits include a special thanks to Tohokushinsha Film Corporation. While the company also provides translation and dubbing services for games, they are a 60-year-old film distributor partly owned by both Toei and the Tokyo Broadcasting Company. It seems likely that this is where the licensed footage came from. Tohokushinsha is still in operation today but the licensing process in Japan is exceedingly complicated. As of late April 2022 the games remain delisted and Konami has issued no update on the situation. Konami’s original announcement from November 7th follows:
Thank you for playing the METAL GEAR series. We are currently working on renewing the licenses for select historical archive footage used in-game, therefore, we have made the temporary decision to begin suspending the sale of METAL GEAR SOLID 2, METAL GEAR SOLID 3 and all products that include these games from digital storefronts globally starting from November 8th, 2021.
We sincerely ask for your patience and understanding as we work towards making these products available for purchase once again. Thank you for your continued support of the METAL GEAR series.
Which products will be temporarily removed?
・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID 2 SONS OF LIBERTY HD EDITION
・PlayStation®3 METAL GEAR SOLID HD EDITION
・PlayStation®Vita METAL GEAR SOLID 3 SNAKE EATER HD EDITION
・PlayStation™Now METAL GEAR SOLID HD COLLECTION
・Nintendo 3DS METAL GEAR SOLID SNAKE EATER 3D
・NVIDIA® SHIELD™ METAL GEAR SOLID 2 HD for SHIELD TV
*Some of the above titles are not available in some countries and regionsKonami announcement – November 7th, 2021
About the Game
Solid Snake returns in Metal Gear Solid 2® Substance, the ultimate edition of Metal Gear Solid ® 2: Sons of Liberty, with all-new game modes, hidden characters, and storylines. Top-secret weapons technology is being mysteriously transported under cover of an oil tanker to an unknown location. Armed with an arsenal of new weapons, supplies and stealth maneuvers, it’s up to Snake to infiltrate the transport and keep this deadly weapon of mass destruction from falling into the wrong hands!
- 350 VR missions and 150 alternative missions – SUBSTANCE Exclusive
- Play through 5 new Snake tales involving Solid Snake – SUBSTANCE Exclusive
- Unlock new playable characters and game modes – SUBSTANCE Exclusive
- Contains the entire Metal Gear Solid®2: Sons of Liberty game plus the debut of the Casting Theater and Boss Survival mode – SUBSTANCE Exclusive
- Utilize stealth and infiltration methods, such as diving somersaults, hanging from ledges and using disguises.
- Fully interactive environment where bullets pierce steam pipes, smoke reveals laser beams and wet shoes leave footprints
- Powerful musical score composed by Harry Gregson – Williams (Armageddon, The Rock)