April 17, 2018
|Delisting:||May 29, 2018 (Removed from Steam)
April 08, 2019 (Server Shutdown)
Steam Forum announcement
Robot Entertainment announced on January 7th, 2019 that three of their multiplayer titles would be shutting down on April 8th. Patrick Hudson, CEO of the studio, posted the following statement to each title’s homepage along with a brief FAQ:
It’s painful to even write this. We are sorry to say that we will be closing down Orcs Must Die! Unchained, Hero Academy, and Hero Academy 2.
Making and supporting a game is a long and challenging journey. Along the way, there are plenty of highs and plenty of lows. The communities who play our games join us on these journeys. We know this decision affects our players as much as it does us.
We’ve kept these games operating at a financial loss for many months. Unfortunately, it’s no longer sustainable for us to do so. We must shift our focus to future games and make our investments there.
All three games will remain playable until Monday, April 8th, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. Central Time (UTC-05:00). Commencing immediately, all players logging into Orcs Must Die! Unchained and Hero Academy 2 will receive a substantial free grant of hard and soft currencies to enjoy the remaining weeks of live play. You may have to wait up to 24 hours for the currency grant to arrive in your account. We do not have a way to immediately make the grants upon first login.
All of us at Robot would like to thank everyone who has played one of these games. We’ve loved interacting with you in game, on our forums, and at places like PAX. We hope you give us the opportunity to join you again in our future games.
As stated, the games were no longer financially sustainable and were apparently costing Robot Entertainment more money to continue operating than they generated.
About the Game
“HERO ACADEMY returns with new card collection, deck building, and real-time matches! Craft your deck then plot your moves across several unique battle boards. Fight real-time PvP arena battles worldwide and play cross-platform games with mobile players. Compete to rule the academy in the ultimate combo of card battles, tactics, and player vs. player competition!“
STRATEGY CARD GAMING + TACTICS COMBINED
- Build your deck, then outwit your opponent on the battlefield!
- Card gaming meets fast-paced tactical combat!
PVP REAL-TIME MATCHES and SINGLE PLAYER CAMPAIGN MODE!
- Enter the arena to fight other players and foes in fast, turn-based battles.
- Explore the Academy in single player campaigns and challenges!
- Monthly seasons give you many chances to climb the leaderboards and win rewards
CRAFT THE ULTIMATE DECK
- Collect hundreds of Hero Academy’s trademark heroes across multiple factions.
- Build your decks and discover a near endless set of strategies.
- Crafting makes every win meaningful and every card valuable!
HERO ACADEMY IS BACK
- 5 million downloads later, the award-winning franchise and Game of the Year returns!
- Play anywhere! Create a Hero Academy account and play from your PC, Mac, Iphone, or Android device!
- Over 355 cards to collect!