Bluehole/Krafton announced earlier today that their MMORPG, TERA, will be shutting down on PC after nearly a decade in operation. The news comes on the same day that the Japanese version of the game is shutting down after being announced back in January.
New account registrations and in-game purchases for the game in Korea, North America, and Europe will be disbled on May 31st with servers shut off on June 30th, 2022 at 10am CEST (4am EST). English publisher Gameforge provided an FAQ that relays Bluehole’s explanation and addresses questions about in-game purchases and refunds for their versions of the game. The same information has been shared on the game’s Steam Store page as well.
When will Gameforge stop servicing Tera?
- New TERA account registrations and the ability to purchase Tera Thalers will be deactivated on 31st May 2022.
- TERA Club purchases will also be deactivated on 31st May 2022.
- All TERA servers will be deactivated on 30th June 2022 at 10:00 AM CEST.
Why is Tera shutting down?
- After careful deliberations, the developers of TERA (Bluehole) have unfortunately taken the difficult decision to end development of the game, as they feel that they are no longer able to provide the satisfying content that TERA players deserve. Instead they would like to focus their internal development efforts on other projects.
- Gameforge has happily hosted a great community in TERA for almost 10 years now, and would have happily served players even longer, but without the support of the developers this is not feasible.
Will there be any kind of migration options for players? What will happen to our accounts, currency and progress?
- As TERA will be shut down globally on PC, no migration options exists. Your TERA Thalers can still be spent until the servers shut down.
Will there be any refunds for purchased/remaining currency or TERA Club?
- No, there will be no refunds for purchases that have already been made, but players are able to spend their remaining TERA Thalers in the shop until the servers are shut down.
- For TERA Club members that have a long-term membership running beyond 30th June 2022, please contact our Payment Support team after the shutdown for a partial refund .
What about my Gameforge account?
- You will still be able to use your Gameforge account to play other Gameforge games such as NosTale or Swords of Legends Online, even after the TERA servers shut down on 30th June 2022.
What will happen to the forum and the TERA Social Media channels?
- All TERA channels, including the website, forum and all social media pages, will close shortly after the service has been shut down.
Unfortunately, neither announcement answers questions about the game on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One where it has been running since 2018. Those versions are available to play today along with their DLC and in-game purchases. The support page for the console releases hasn’t been updated since 2020 but hopefully Bluehole will address the issue soon. For now the dates are on the Watch List calendar and we’ll have a page up on the site later. Thanks to everyone who pointed out the news today.